Noise suppression technologies/case study introduction (Consumer)
ToF Noise Suppression (3)
- What is ToF?
- ToF transmission/reception block diagram
- Noise issues affecting ToF
- Power supply noise suppression using ferrite beads
- Ferrite beads recommended for noise suppression
- Confirming the effects of ferrite bead insertion
- Confirmation of effectiveness of ferrite bead insertion - ripple noise
- Confirmation of effectiveness of ferrite bead insertion - transient response
- Confirmation of effectiveness of ferrite bead insertion - VCSEL current waveform
6. Confirming the effects of ferrite bead insertion
We confirmed the change in noise suppression effectiveness with and without insertion of ferrite beads.
We also checked to determine if there were any effects on voltage or current waveforms, aside from noise suppression effectiveness.
We checked for changes in ripple noise to confirm effectiveness in reducing noise flowing to the power supply side on transmitter power line ① in the figure below, and we checked for changes in transient response to confirm absence of harmful effects on the voltage waveform at VCSEL power input ②.
We also checked for changes in the current waveform flowing to the VCSEL.
Voltage① → Confirmation based on ripple noise
Voltage② → Confirmation based on transient response
Current → Confirmation based on current wave form
7. Confirmation of effectiveness of ferrite bead insertion – ripple noise
We can see that inserting BLE18PK100SN1 ferrite beads into the power line as shown in the figure below reduced ripple at location ① to about 1/5 the previous level.
We confirmed that insertion of ferrite beads substantially reduces ripple noise.
8. Confirmation of effectiveness of ferrite bead insertion – transient response
On the other hand, it would be unacceptable if ferrite bead insertion had a harmful effect on the voltage supplied to the VCSEL.
We checked the transient response before and after insertion of ferrite beads and confirmed that there was no reduction in wave height due to ferrite bead insertion.
Inserting ferrite beads resulted in no observable harmful effect on the operation of the circuit.
9. Confirmation of effectiveness of ferrite bead insertion – VCSEL current waveform
Next, we checked the waveform of the current flowing to the VCSEL.
A comparison of current waveforms before and after ferrite bead insertion shows almost no difference.
Thus, we confirmed no harmful effects due to reduction in wave height following ferrite bead insertion.
- Steep, large current pulses flow to the ToF transmitter, and these current pulses tend to generate significant ripple noise in the power line.
- Inserting ferrite beads can reduce noise without harmful effects on voltage or current waveforms or on transient response.
- We recommend the following ferrite bead products for noise suppression from the standpoint of large-current support and compactness.
|Recommended ferrite bead products|
|Part No.||Search inventory||L dimension||W dimension||Impedance